Before all of the following, tell you one of the most important tips of sweet potato vine growing —— CUT the stem and plant directly, believe it or not?!
This is a nice little project to do with kids. Sweet potatoes are easy and inexpensive to grow. We can use these plants decorative for home, and perfect for a kitchen windowsill.
Just follow the next steps, you will have beautiful sweet potato vines. By the way, do you know that sweet potato leaves are edible?
How to make:
- Take a sweet potato that has several eyes.
- Stick four or more toothpicks or shortened skewers into the middle of the potato. Suspend the potato in a wide-mouth glass jar resting the toothpicks on the glass rim to support the potato. Fill the jar with water until it covers some of the eyes on the bottom of the potato.
- Place the jar in an area with filtered light and watch the roots grow and the eyes sprout.
- When the plant has developed a good root system and has grown at least three leaves on each sprout, move it to a pot and cover the roots and the potato with soil.
- Clip the ends of the vines when they reach eight to 10 inches long to encourage a bushier plant. Fertilize the plant on a regular basis and enjoy the beautiful results.
Here’s the link to the instructions…